ELAP Mission Statement
Our goal is to help non-native English speakers from a wide range of backgrounds improve their English language skills and knowledge of American culture in order to become successful students in the United States.
English Language for Academic Purposes (ELAP) is a full-time English language training program offered in 15-week sessions beginning in January (Spring) and August (Fall) as well as during the summer, beginning in May. Full-time ELAP students take a minimum of 18-20 hours of English language instruction each week. Additional electives are also available. Students who do not require a visa may take ELAP courses part-time.
Course Start Dates
ELAP courses run in 15-week sessions (13 weeks in summer) and follow the USF academic calendar
*Dates are tentative. Please check back for updated information or contact the International Programs Office at email@example.com for any questions about summer courses.
Length of Study
Students will take a placement test upon their arrival to USF to determine the course levels in which they will begin the program. For most intermediate-level students (ELAP Level II), the program will last two semesters (approximately 8 months). For upper-intermediate and advanced-level students (ELAP Level III), the ELAP program normally will last one semester. Students who complete the highest level of ELAP will have a B2 level of English language proficiency. At the end of the ELAP program, students are also required to take a post-test in order to receive a Certificate of Completion.
Students who do not have a TOEFL score are welcome to apply and will be considered on an individual basis. They may be admitted at the discretion of the University into a prolonged ELAP program with beginner level components.
All ELAP courses focus on essential academic skills such as Speaking & Listening, Reading & Vocabulary, Writing, and Grammar. Full-time ELAP students are enrolled in at least 20 hours of intensive English study each week.
ELAP Level I
- Reading & Vocabulary I (6 hours)
- Writing I (4 hours)
- Listening & Speaking I (6 hours)
- Grammar I (4 hours)
ELAP Level II
- Reading & Vocabulary II (6 hours)
- Writing II (4 hours)
- Listening & Speaking II (6 hours)
- Grammar II (4 hours)
ELAP Level III
- Reading & Vocabulary III (6 hours)
- Writing III (4 hours)
- Listening & Speaking III (6 hours)
- Grammar III (4 hours)
Elective Courses (availability varies)
- English for Business Studies
- Directed Study and Readings – Undergraduate
- Directed Study and Readings – Graduate
- Students who initially place in ELAP level II or III courses are not required to complete the Level I coursework.
- In the Fall (August) and Spring (January) semesters, each ELAP course meets for 15 weeks. During the Summer (May) semester, each ELAP course meets for 13 weeks.