A team of leading academics and practitioners will walk you through the latest methods for analyzing competition cases.
The Barcelona GSE Intensive Course on Quantitative Methods for Competition Analysis provides participants (economists, lawyers, and practitioners working for firms or in agencies) with a thorough understanding of recent empirical methods to measure market power and competition, with applications to market definition, merger analysis, and damages from anticompetitive conduct.
The program’s faculty includes some of the leading academic economists in the area of industrial organization and competition policy and practitioners with extensive experience on quantitative methods in competition cases.
- Review established and recent quantitative methods for competition analysis, with a proper balance between techniques and interpretation also accessible to non-economists.
- Learn about the practical considerations to apply techniques, based on the lessons from various recent cases where quantitative techniques have been applied.
- Learn to interpret and critically evaluate the empirical results from different approaches.
- Develop a good common sense of the advantages and disadvantages of different approaches, and the circumstances under which they are (not) suitable.
- Acquire a thorough understanding of the data requirements for applying various techniques.
- Three practice sessions illustrate how to implement the econometric techniques with standard software (Stata), covering demand estimation, merger simulation, and treatment effects.
Lawyers, economists, policy makers, consultants and managers working in the areas of competition policy and regulation in:
- Competition authorities
- Regulatory agencies
- Economic consultancy firms
- International organizations
- Other public institutions
- Law firms and courts
- Academic institutions and research centers in competition law and economics
Please note that participation fees do not include accommodation expenses. Participants must make their own accommodation arrangements. Information and accommodation options are available on the accommodation page.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 1, 2018