Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in International Shipping and Transport Logistics The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies
This programme enables students to introduce modern and cost-effective reforms into shipping, transport, and logistics industries.
- Curriculum designed in consultation with industry leaders and prospective employers
- Balances academic theory with professional practice
- Integrates multidisciplinary knowledge and specialist expertise
- Graduates pursue diverse career paths
- Graduates granted exemptions from professional examinations
- Postgraduate Diploma award as an intermediate exit
Scholarships and Funding
a) Targeted Taught Postgraduate Programmes Fellowships Scheme (for 2022/23 intake)
A total of 6 fellowships shall be awarded to local students of the MSc programme.
b) LMS Taught Postgraduate Programme Scholarship Scheme
- This is for entry of Programme MSc/PgD in International Shipping and Transport Logistics (Mixed-mode) (44087-IFM/IPM/IFP/IPP), available for applicants with outstanding academic and non-academic performance.
- Merit-based scholarships of HK$50,000 for each recipient
c) The Hong Kong Maritime and Logistics Scholarship Scheme
- For entry of Programme Stream 44087-ISS*
- Available for all local and non-local applicants
* Programme Stream 44087-ISS: Full-time Mode under the MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics Programme. For details of this Scholarship and Programme Stream 44087-ISS, please visit the description page on this website as well.
d) Master of Science in International Shipping and Transport Logistics Scholarship for International Student
- For entry of Programme Stream 44087-IFM: MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics [Mixed-mode] (Full-time) Available for overseas applicants, outside of Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan with outstanding academic and non-academic performance
- Waiver of tuition fee plus living cost subsidy
PolyU reserves the right to change or withdraw the scholarship/fellowship at any time. In case of any dispute/disagreement, PolyU’s decision is final.
|Award||Number of Required Subjects||Required Pattern||Required Pattern||Required Pattern|
|Compulsory Subject||Restricted Elective Subjects||Free Elective Subjects|
|Master of Science||11 (33 credits)||1 (3 credits)||5 (15 credits)||5 (15 credits)|
|Postgraduate Diploma||6 (18 credits)||1 (3 credits)||5 (15 credits)||0 (0 credits)|
(1 subject - 3 credits)
- LGT5002 International Logistics Systems, Operations and Management
Restricted Elective Subjects
(5 subjects - 15 credits)
Choose at least two from the focus on International Shipping:
- LGT5001 Organisational Management in Shipping and Logistics
- LGT5010 Port Policy and Management
- LGT5071 Ship Chartering Strategies
- LGT5072 Liner Shipping Management
Choose at least one from the focus on Shipping Economics and Finance:
- LGT5007 Shipping Economics and Markets
- LGT5065 Finance for Shipping and Logistics
Choose at least one from the focus on Shipping Law and Insurance:
- LGT5012 Law and Practice in Marine Insurance
- LGT5064 Shipping Law
Choose at least one from the focus on International logistics:
- LGT5014 Air Transport Logistics and Management
- LGT5015 Supply Chain Management
Note: Students may take more restricted elective subjects than necessary, and they will be counted as free electives.
Free Elective Subjects#
(MSc: any 5 subjects - 15 credits
PgD: 0 subjects - 0 credits)
Focus on International Shipping:
- LGT5017 Maritime Logistics
Focus on Shipping Economics and Finance:
- AF5108 Accounting for Managers
- LGT5160 Derivatives and Risk Management in Shipping
Focus on Shipping Law and Insurance:
- LGT5011 Admiralty Law
- LGT5046 Contract Management
- LGT5170 Maritime Arbitration Law
Focus on International logistics (Air Logistics Management):
- LGT5067 Intermodal Transport Management
- LGT5161 Air Transport Regulatory Policy
- LGT5162 Airline Strategic Management
- LGT5163 Aviation Marketing
- LGT5164 Aviation Safety Management
- LGT5169 Airport Business Management
- LGT5013 Transport Logistics in China
- LGT5037 Project Management
- LGT5073 Risk Management in Operations
- LGT5101 Statistics for Management
- LGT5113 Enterprise Resource Planning
- LGT5122 Applications of Decision Making Models
- LGT5131 Warehousing and Materials Management
- LGT5152 Information Systems for Supply Chain Management
- LGT5202 Project (6 credits)
- MM501 Research Methods
- MM544 E-Commerce
*Each subject counts for 3 credits while Project is worth 6 credits.
- The offering of subjects is subject to class quota availability.
- The subject syllabi are subject to approval.
# Common Pool Electives: Students are allowed to choose 1 elective, equivalent to 3 credits, from the Common Pool to fulfil the elective requirements of the programme.
Students should strictly comply with the prescriptions of the programme curriculum when performing subject registration. Those who fail to meet the programme requirements will NOT be allowed to graduate.
Credit transfer/exemption will not be granted for subjects chosen from the FB Common Pool unless the Elective Subject concerned falls within the programme curriculum. Please note that not all subjects will be offered every year and registration is subject to the availability of quota.
- Graduates of the MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics have been granted full exemption from the Qualifying Examination of The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong.
- Graduates of the PgD in International Shipping and Transport Logistics have been granted Level 1 and Level 2 (6 subjects) exemption from the Qualifying Examination of The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong.
- Graduates of the MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics have been granted exemption on the following subjects of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS):
Introduction to Shipping