Shantou University (STU), founded in 1981，is a comprehensive university jointly supported by the Ministry of Education of China, the Guangdong Provincial Government, and the Li Ka Shing Foundation and is the only public university in the world that receives long-term funding from the Li Ka Shing Foundation. In 2016 - 2018, STU was ranked 601st -800th in Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for three consecutive years. In 2017 Best Chinese University Ranking, STU was ranked 49th in the “Quality of Scientific Research” indicator. In 2017, the number of papers published in Cell, Nature, and Science(CNS) magazines by STU faculty and students was ranked 18th, and the number of Citations Per Paper was ranked 5th among the universities in mainland China.
STU (Agency Number: 10560) is a designated university for Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS scholarship) students. The university has been offering degree and non-degree programs to international students since 1986. In September 2018, STU School of International Education was established to provide better education to international students studying at STU. STU School of International Education will integrate the teaching resources of the university to provide international students with high-quality degree programs and training programs, to foster the development of international education, and to promote cultural exchange and communication.
Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese government has set up a series of full scholarship programs and partial scholarship programs to sponsor international students to study in Chinese universities. CGS full scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodation fees, stipend, and comprehensive medical insurance. Shantou University (Agency code: 10560) is one of the designated universities in China for CGS scholarship students. The application time for CGS scholarship is January to April every year. Application details will be provided the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country (Chinese Embassy/Consulate General in your home country or other designated agencies).
Longcoastallinesandapleasantsubtropicalmarineclimateprovidethecitywithmanycharmingtouristattractions.Beautifulmountains, natural beaches, and exquisite islands, together with the marine scenery that surrounds the harbor, form a breathtaking environment that is especially attractive to those who want to escape the busy life. The Tropic of Cancer passes through the north of Shantou city. With a marine climate of south subtropical zone, Shantou is warm and humid with sufficient sunshine and rainfall, as well as a long frost-free period. Shantou is one of the primary hometowns of overseas Chinese. The exotic culture that they bring back to the city is then mixed with the traditional culture, forming a particular local flavor.
- Three times ranked within Nos.601-800 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Twice ranked within Nos.161-170 in the Times Higher Education Asian University Rankings in 2016 and 2017.
- Ranked within Nos.151-200 in the Young University Rankings 2017, being one of the two universities in mainland China that enter the list (the other one is Suzhou University).
- Entered the CWUR (Center for World University Rankings) World University Rankings 2017, taking the 79th place among the listed universities from mainland China.
- Ranked for the first time in the US News Best Global Universities Ranking 2018, taking the 94th place among the listed universities from mainland China.
- Entered the QS University Rankings Asia 2018, taking the 64th place among the listed universities from mainland China.
Programs taught in: