Muskegon Junior College was established in 1926 by the Muskegon Board of Education and housed initially on the third floor of then-new Muskegon Senior High School. By 1934, the College and high school enrollment had grown beyond the capacity of the building. The Junior College moved into the former Hackley School in downtown Muskegon across from Hackley Park.
In the years after World War II, enrollment climbed quickly. The Muskegon Board of Education, which operated the College, utilised available space in many of its buildings and rented other community facilities when enrollment exceeded the capacities of those buildings.
In June 1951, after an enabling act by the Michigan Legislature, the name and educational scope of the College was changed. Muskegon Junior College was renamed Muskegon Community College to reflect the expanded nature of the College’s programs. Courses were added in retailing, vocations, technical fields, public health, and trades.
By the early 1960s, enrollment had topped 2,000. The College was operating full-time at Hackley, Vanderlaan, and Wilson schools and part-time at eight other locations. The Board of Education formed a Special Citizens Committee to study the entire program and make recommendations. The Committee made several proposals: the College be separated from the public school system, a county-wide community college district be created, a board of trustees be elected to plan, build, and operate the school, and a millage be voted in sufficient amount and for enough years to develop and manage the College.
49442 Muskegon, Michigan, USA